Monday, February 24, 2014

A Reflection on Blogging

I found that blogging was the most beneficial way of communicating with classmates that I've ever experienced in an online course. I prefer the blogging because it requires you to break free from the stale environment of the management system discussion board  and jump from blog to blog. I feel as though people are more expressive in their blogs because there is a sense of a bigger audience versus just the people in your class. Blogging allows you to become an actual voice in technology education. Someone who by simply blogging has become a resource on the topic. I really enjoyed the interactions because they gave me insight to other perspectives on the course materials as well as validated some of my views with my peers. It enhanced my understanding of the course content because it made me discuss it. The power of discussion and inquiry are the foundations of education dating back to Socartes and Aristotle respectively.  

This course opened my eyes to a plethora of different resources that I have currated on my pearltress for future reference . The article by Carol S. Dweck was probably the most impactful on the way I approach curriculum design and teaching students because it instilled in me the importance of challenging students to focus on the process of learning versus set results. By practicing and taking risks in order to build skill they are generalizing and developing a habit of research, practice and great work ethic.  This skill set alone will allow them to courage and talent to topple any educational obstacle.

Another resource that really introduce me to one of my new role models in educational philosophy is the blog by Grant Wiggins. I read this particular blog on transfer and its importance in education as an overall goal, but was so intrigued that I continued to read his other blogs before I realized that this is the same Wiggins that wrote “Understanding By Design”. This book is the core of my new learning philosophy and I was truly inspired and satisfied to know that he had other resources that reflected more intimately on his concepts like his blog.


I am going to continue to utilize my blog as a way to express my philosophy on learning even after my tenure as a student in this course. This practice will allow me to define myself as a voice in Technology Education and possibly inspire other educators to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment